Sunday, August 2, 2009

I am in China!

Ni hao, or, hello from China!

After a long day of airports and planes I have arrived in China and have finished day one. On the ride to Chicago I was filled with excitement and anticipation. We were all ready and still in shock over the fact that would soon be half way acoss the planet. In Chicago we met up with the Wiaconsin bunch and a few of the Discovery staff. After a quick run to get our last American Mc Donalds for 2 weeks we boarded the plane and were off to China. With the help of some Tylonol PM I was asleep for almost 10 of the 13 hour flight. Getting off of the plane I experienced the first of many culture shocks. Every single sign and billboard was filled with these crazy Chinese symbols. Tonight we had an introductory session and they explained that Manderan consists of over 4000 characters. Anyways, after passing through customs and getting our luggage we arrived at the hotel. We had a little time to freshen up and then met up with the California kids and the DSA staff for an introduction. This upcoming Chinese adventure will undoubtably be increadible and I am glad that you are there for me to share it with.

Dinner tonight was deffinately an experience. Our group had our own private room and the 12 kids sat together at a table. The lazy susan infront of us was filled at every point durring our feast with almost 20 different dishes. I tried everything. The meal consisted of the normal like soup, rice, noodles, to the extreme. We had shrimp with the eyes still on it, some weird beef dish, squid, lamb, and even asparugus. The Chinese food here is not like home, its a lot spicier and much more exotic but doesn't taste that bad. After dinner we went to head to bed so I am going yo do that. We have a busy day tomorrow with Tianamen Square, the Forbidden City, and some Ping Pong. Wan an (Good Night)

5 comments:

  1. Ni hao, Cory,

    You are my go-to first blog read of the day, and I so enjoy your posts. Love the details you bring to your posts; you almost make us, as readers, feel we are on your adventure with you.

    I would like to quote some of your post passages, so i am asking if that is OK. I'm guessing with this trip that it's a given, but still checking in. I will, of course, duly cite you.

    Please add some photos as you can. They will bring your words to life. So glad you are past the cultural shock. Can you imaging what the Chinese would think of America?

    RJ Stangherlin
    PA Discovery Educator Network Leadership Council Blog Coordinator

    ReplyDelete
  2. please don't put your camera down unless youa re sleeping...I can't wait to see...ENJOY IT ALL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was great to read the update. I know that you will have an exciting time. I can't waitt o read about the rest of your adventures.

    JS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cory,

    Great details, THANK YOU! It sound like China is full of interesting adventures. How was your ping pong lesson? Do you eat many of those shrimp with the eyes?

    Please let me know about the Forbidden City. I will also be looking forward to pictures to compliment your vivid words.

    Thanks Cory, keep the details coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cory, Thanks for a great blog. I know how pressed you are for time but keep blogging as often as you can. We are seeing China through your eyes. Karen Wells DSA South Africa

    ReplyDelete